Tuesday, March 23, 2010

She Speaks- A great training ground for Writers, Speakers, and Ministry Leaders

Welcome to my blog and yes I am still learning the ins and outs of blogging. I am blog challenged right now so hopefully people can actually view this. The good news is that God loves me anyway. So I will hit the publish button when I am finished and pray that it works it way through blogspace and reaches those who will want to read it.

For those of you who know me and follow me on Facebook you know that I am a networker and connecter. I love to introduce people to each other especially when it helps them move closer to a dream, a goal, to becoming all God created them to be.

You will have to keep checking back to hear more of my story. I have spent the better part of the last year planning, preparing, and studying as I move closer to the dreams God has placed in my heart of speaking and writing. Along the way I knew I needed more training and what I found blessed me beyond anything I could ask think or imagine.

Three years ago I moved to Nashville for a short time. While I was there I met some ladies from Proverbs 31 Ministries. Renee Swope is a speaker with P31 and told me about their ministry and speakers bureau. I signed up for their email devotional which is wonderful. If you are subscribed to it, then go to www.proverbs31.org and sign up.

After returning to NJ, I attended a women's conference with speaker Lysa Terkeurst. I knew I recognized her name but was not sure from where. Well several days passed and I received the daily devotional from P31 and saw Lysa's name at the top. I thought, "Oh she is a contributor to their devotionals". OK, I know some of you are laughing outloud. I preceded to click the link and was brought to the P31 home page. Again wondering why it had taken me there. So I clicked on the meet our staff and found Lysa was not only a contributor but rather the President and Co-founder of the ministry. The first time I heard Lysa speak I was drawn in by the power of her stories. I had spoken to women, taught bible studies but didn't consider myself a great bible teacher by any stretch of the imagination. When I heard Lysa speak it gave me a new confidence that I could do that. She was sharing stories about her life and I connected to that. I remember the stories. As we dismissed for our coffee break I said a quick prayer. "Lord, there are like 500 ladies here and I would love to meet Lysa so if you could arrange that I would appreciate it. In the name of Jesus, Amen." I ran to the bathroom and then walked across the parking lot to the building where the coffee was being served. As I opened the door, I looked to my left and who was standing right next to me but Lysa. Thank you Jesus escaped my lips. I not only got to meet Lysa but was the first person to speak to her at her table that morning.

It was that day that I once again heard about P31 and their She Speaks conference. I wanted to go that year but it conflicted with Women of Faith and I had coordinated a group to attend. So it was to wait another whole year. Happily the year passed and last July I joined 600 other women for She Speaks. It was one of the highlights of my life. 4 days of meeting other amazing women, hearing about how God was using them, and gaining more experience and training in speaking and writing. I have continued to use other resources as I roll out a whole new speaking experience but She Speaks definitely tops the list for me. I wanted to go back again this year to reconnect with friends, and get more knowledge the second time around but the economy and finances prohibit me from pursuing it this year. Then yesterday I found out that they are offering 3 scholarships to attend She Speaks. What an incredible gift! So I decided to write this blog to let you all know about it too. Maybe you are a speaker, or a writer, or women's ministry leader who wants to be inspired and encouraged as you move forward in your calling. Then you want to attend She Speaks. So visit: http://lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com/ for more information.

I will be updating my blog more frequently and I am busy working on the roll out of my new website. Come visit me on Facebook, Twitter and My Space.

Thanks Lysa, Renee and all the women of P31. You are amazing women of God and I am honored to know you.